Thursday, May 7, 2009

Shanghai Mini - the tiny edition

So I saw my first traffic accident today, I thought I'd report before I forget. These two mopeds bumped together. One woman was claiming to have an injured foot. People were yelling, people were watching and I asked DongBing about it. He says accidents in China are normally settled on the spot, the person who hit the other gives his victim some cash. If the amount of cash is too small, if nobody wants to admit they're at fault or if it's a big accident and people are really injured, they call the cops. He doesn't know much more because he doesn't drive.

I was also shopping a bit by myself, it's kinda funny, I walk into local shops and then there's always someone keeping an eye on me. They try to be discreet, but it's pretty obvious, I tested it. I changed isles, the lady "reading" the newspaper changes isles nonchalantly. I change back to the previous isle, and now something on he shelf in the previous isle has caught her attention. I change back again and suddenly she must count her bottles of pop, or milk or whatever it was that happen to be in the same isle as me. I thought it funny at first, but then this happened in every store I walked into. About 8 stores in total.

Sadly I'm looking for deodorant, I'm gonna run out soon because I only packed my gym/camping one, and I didn't check it, and it's almost done. Turns out that deodorant is rare in China, people don't use the stuff here. They stock it only for foreigners. I'll have to ask George if he knows where I can get some. I bet it'll be expensive, hahaha.

Anyways, as I was shopping a thought crossed my mind. They're watching me to make sure I don't steal stuff. Is it really common for LauWei to steal things in China? Or are they just generally mistrusting of foreigners. I ask because the stuff that was locked in the glass case cost at most 20 RMB, and everything else was dirt cheap. I was walking into their store with about 800 RMB in my pocket, I could literally buy more than I could carry, even if I had two people to help me carry stuff! And yet, they were watching me to make sure I didn't steal a bar of soap worth 30 cents... Boggles the mind.

Anyways, my quest continues, but I now know what happens in case of an accident. If you carry money you can avoid the police!

No comments:

Post a Comment